- Assistant Professor
- Food and Agricultural Economics
- Environmental, Energy and Resource Economics and Policy
- Emerging Markets
Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management
Dr. Wendong Zhang is an Assistant Professor and Extension Economist in the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, SC Johnson College of Business at Cornell University. His research seeks to better understand the interplay between agriculture and the environment, farmland market, and Chinese agriculture.
Dr. Zhang is currently Faculty Affiliate at Cornell Center for China Economic Research (CICER), Faculty Fellow at Cornell Atkinson Center for Sustainability, and was selected as 2022-2023 Global Public Voices Fellow at Cornell Einaudi Center for International Studies.
Dr. Zhang is currently an Associate Editor of American Journal of Agricultural Economics as well as the Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. His research and extension program has also won awards such as the AAEA Bruce Garner Memorial Prize for Applied Policy Analysis Award and the AAEA 2021 Winner of the Distinguished Extension/Outreach Program Award for Individuals with Less than Ten Years’ Experience.
Dr. Zhang received his Ph.D. in Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics from the Ohio State University in July 2015, and he also holds a BSc in Environmental Science from Fudan University in China. Prior to Cornell, he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Economics at Iowa State University, where he is a Faculty Collaborator at the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD).
- Li, Minghao; He, Xi; Zhang, Wendong; Qu, Shuyang; Rodriguez, Lulu; Gbeda, James. "Farmers' reactions to the US–China trade war: Perceptions versus behaviors"Journal of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (Online Only). 2.3 (2023): 386-401
- Howard, Gregory; Zhang, Wendong; Valcu-Lisman, Adriana; Gassman, Philip. "Evaluating the tradeoff between cost effectiveness and participation in agricultural conservation programs"American Journal of Agricultural Economics. (forthcoming).
- Liu, Qing; Maule, Beatrice; Zhang, Wendong. "Of women and land: How gender affects successions and transfers of Iowa farms"Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy. (forthcoming).
- He, Xi; Balistreri, Edward; Kim, Gyu Hyun; Zhang, Wendong. "A general equilibrium assessment of COVID-19's labor productivity impacts on China's regional economies"Journal of Productivity Analysis. 58 (2022): 129-150
- Mei, Yingdan; Gao, Li; Zhang, Wendong; Yang, Feng-An. "Do homeowners benefit when coal-fired power plants switch to natural gas? Evidence from Beijing, China"Journal of Environmental Economics and Management. 110 (2021): 102566
- Xiong, Tao; Zhang, Wendong; Chen, Chen-Ti. "A Fortune From Misfortune: Evidence from Hog Firms' Stock Price Responses to China's African Swine Fever Outbreaks"Food Policy. 105 (2021): 102150
- Shao, Yongtong; Xiong, Tao; Li, Minghao; Hayes, Dermot; Zhang, Wendong; Xie, Wei. "China's Missing Pigs: Correcting China's Hog Inventory Data Using a Machine Learning Approach"American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 103.3 (2021): 1082-1098
- Zhang, Wendong; Sohngen, Brent. "Do US Anglers Care About Harmful Algal Blooms? A Discrete Choice Experiment of Lake Erie Recreational Anglers"American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 100.3 (2018): 868-888
- Nickerson, Cynthia; Zhang, Wendong. "Modeling the Determinants of Farmland Values in the United States"The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics, Ed. Joshua Duke, Ed. Junjie Wu. Oxford University Press. (2014): 111-138
Awards and Honors
- Young Professional Achievement Award (2022) College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Alumni Society, the Ohio State University
- Distinguished Extension/Outreach Program Award, Individual: Less than Ten Years' Experience (2021) Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
- Advisor of Winner of the AAEA Best Undergraduate Student Paper Competition (2021) Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
- Early Achievement Award in Extension and Outreach (2021) Iowa State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Bruce Garner Memorial Prize for Applied Policy Analysis Award (2019) Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
- AEM 2500 - Environmental and Resource Economics
- PhD The Ohio State University, 2015
- MA Economics, The Ohio State University, 2012
- BS Environmental Science, Fudan University, 2009