- Assistant Professor
- Director, Laboratory for Experimental Economics and Decision Research (LEEDR)
- Assurance of Learning Director for the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Sports Analytics
Kevin Kniffin leads two active streams of research that focus on Teams and Leadership. Through studies of athletic and scientific teams, Kniffin has developed two lines of investigation that utilize data from popular and important model domains. More generally, Kniffin has studied the relevance of leadership across a variety of organizational contexts. He has contributed original research to publications including American Psychologist, the Journal of Organizational Behavior, and The Leadership Quarterly. Kniffin's research to study academic career paths has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and his work has been featured by outlets including Harvard Business Review and The New York Times. Kniffin won the Established Researcher Award in 2019 from the Institute for Research on Innovation & Science (IRIS) and is an incoming Editorial Board Member for Academy of Management Discoveries for 2021-2023..
In the classroom, Kniffin enjoys "meeting students where they are" by engaging students' experiences in the pursuit of studying evidence-based principles of individual and organizational behavior. Winner of the Innovative Teacher Award from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) in 2020, Kniffin employs an interdisciplinary approach to both Organizational Behavior (AEM 3245/6245) and Leadership and Management in Sports (AEM 3320/6325). Kniffin has presented "Ten Bottom-Line Lessons from the Big Leagues" as the University's Faculty Homecoming Speaker (2016) and speaks regularly for alumni, governmental, and business organizations.
- Kniffin, Kevin; Narayanan, Jayanth; Anseel, Frederik; Antonakis, John; Ashford, Susan; Bakker, Arnold; Bamberger, Peter; Bapuji, Hari; Bhave, Devasheesh; Choi, Virginia; Creary, Stephanie; Demerouti, Evangelina; Flynn, Francis; Gelfand, Michele; Greer, Lindred; Johns, Gary; Kesebir, Selin; Klein, Peter; Lee, Sun Young; Ozcelik, Hakan; Petriglieri, Jennifer; Rothbard, Nancy; Rudolph, Cort; Shaw, Jason; Sirola, Nina; Wanberg, Connie; Whillans, Ashley; Wilmot, Michael; van Vugt, Mark. "COVID-19 and the Workplace: Implications, Issues, and Insights for Future Research and Action"American Psychologist. (forthcoming).
- Kniffin, Kevin; Hanks, Andrew; Qian, Xuechao; Wang, Bo; Weinberg, Bruce. "Dissertators with Distantly Related Foci Face Divergent Near-Term Outcomes" (in preparation).
- Kniffin, Kevin; Detert, James; Leroy, Hannes. "On Leading and Managing: Synonyms or Separate (and Unequal)?"Academy of Management Discoveries. 6 (2020): 544-571
- Kniffin, Kevin; Hanks, Andrew. "The Trade-offs of Teamwork Among STEM Doctoral Graduates"American Psychologist. 73.4 (2018): 420-432
- Kniffin, Kevin; Reeves-Ellington, Richard; Wilson, David. "When Everyone Wins? Exploring Employee and Customer Preferences for No-Haggle Pricing"Frontiers in Psychology. (2018)
- Kniffin, Kevin; Palacio, Dylan. "Trash-Talking and Trolling"Human Nature. 29.3 (2018): 353-369
- Kniffin, Kevin; Scalise Sugiyama, M. "Toward a Natural History of Team Sports"Human Nature. 29.3 (2018): 211-218
- Kniffin, Kevin; Hanks, Andrew. "Antecedents and Near-term Consequences for Interdisciplinary Dissertators"Scientometrics. 111.3 (2017): 1225-1250
- Kniffin, Kevin; Thomas, Howley; Cole, Bardreau. "Putting Muscle into Sports Analytics: Strength, Conditioning, and Ice Hockey Performance"Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 31.12 (2017): 3253–3259
- Kniffin, Kevin; Hanks, A. "Early Career PhD Salaries: The industry premium and interdisciplinary debate"Applied Economics Letters. 21.18 (2014): 1277-1282
- AEM 5305 - Global Citizenship Seminar
- AEM 3320/AEM 6325 - Leadership and Management in Sports
- AEM 3245/AEM 6245 - Organizational Behavior
- PhD Binghamton University (SUNY), 2002
- MA Binghamton University (SUNY), 1998
- BA Lehigh University, 1995