- Senior Lecturer Emeritus
- Management Communication
Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management
Amy Newman is a senior lecturer emerita of management communication in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business. At the School of Hotel Administration, she taught Business Writing for Hospitality Professionals, Persuasive Business Communication for Hospitality Leaders, Organizational Behavior, Management Communication, and Corporate Communication.
At The Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, Newman was the faculty director of Grand Challenges @Dyson. The engaged-learning curriculum includes a senior capstone project for which undergraduates work in teams with a faculty member and a community partner to solve a pressing societal issue.
Newman is author of Business Communication and Character (Cengage, 11e) and Building Leadership Character (Sage, 2018). She also developed eCornell courses as part of the Servant Leadership and Corporate Communication certificate programs.
Newman spent much of her career in corporate positions and external consulting roles at Reuters, Scholastic, Canon, and The New York Times. Newman has won grants to develop technology-based learning solutions and awards for teaching excellence and student advising. She is a director-at-large for the Association for Business Communication.
- Newman, Amy. Building Leadership Character. Sage Publishing. 1 (2018): 288
- Newman, Amy. Business Communication: In Person, In Print, Online. Cengage Learning. 10th edition (2016): 550
- Newman, Amy. "Communication Planning: A Template for Organizational Change"Cornell Hospitality Report. 16.3 (2016): 3-6
- Newman, Amy. "How to Feel Confident for a Presentation"Business Communication Quarterly, Ed. Melinda Knight. 78.2 (2015): 258-259
- Brownell, Judi; Newman, Amy. "Applying Communication Technology: Introducing Email and Instant Messaging in the Hospitality Curriculum"Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education (Online Only). 7.2 (2008): 72-76
Awards and Honors
- Meada Gibbs Outstanding Teacher-Scholar Award (2015) Association for Business Communication
- Faculty Teaching Recognition Award - Graduate Core (2017) Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, School of Hotel Administration
- Faculty Teaching Recognition Award-Junior/Senior Core (2015) Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration
- Faculty Teaching Recognition Award-Junior/Senior Core Teaching Award (2013) School of Hotel Administration
- Faculty Teaching Recognition Award-Junior/Senior Core Teaching Award (2012) School of Hotel Administration
- MS Milano School of Management and Urban Policy, The New School, 1990
- BS College of Human Ecology, Cornell University, 1986