Areas of Expertise
- Electricity Markets
- Power Systems
- Renewable Energy
- Software Tools
- Doctorate Cornell University, 1995
- Master of Science Cornell University, 1992
- Bachelor of Science Drexel University, 1989
My research interests center on the interactions between the economic and engineering aspects of electric power systems operations and planning. I have a particular interest in the optimization problems, algorithms and software tools needed to address the challenges of an increasingly smart power grid.
- Lamadrid, A. J., Shawhan, D. L., Murillo-Sanchez, C., Zimmerman, R. D., Zhu, Y., Tylavsky, D. J., Kindle, A. G., & Dar, Z. (2015). Stochastically Optimized, Carbon-Reducing Dispatch of Storage, Generation, and Controllable Loads. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 30:1064-1075.
- Shawhan, D. L., Taber, J. T., Shi, D., Zimmerman, R. D., Yan, J., Marquet, C. M., Qi, Y., Mao, B., Schuler, R. E., Schulze, W. D., & Tylavsky, D. J. (2014). Does a Detailed Model of the Electricity Grid Matter? Estimating the Impacts of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative. Resource and Energy Economics. 36:191-207.
- Murillo-Sánchez, C. E., Zimmerman, R. D., Anderson, C. L., & Thomas, R. J. (2013). Secure Planning and Operations of Systems with Stochastic Sources, Energy Storage and Active Demand. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 4:2220-2229.
- Murillo-Sanchez, C., Zimmerman, R. D., Anderson, C. L., & Thomas, R. J. (2013). A Stochastic, Contingency-Based Security-Constrained Optimal Power Flow for the Procurement of Energy and Distributed Reserve. Decision Support Systems. 56:1-10.
- Mount, T. D., Maneevitjit, S., Lamadrid, A., Zimmerman, R. D., & Thomas, R. J. (2012). The Hidden System Costs of Wind Generation in a Deregulated Electricity Market. The Energy Journal. 33:161-186.
- Zimmerman, R. D., Murillo-Sánchez, C. E., & Thomas, R. J. (2011). MATPOWER: Steady-State Operations, Planning and Analysis Tools for Power Systems Research and Education. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 26:32-29.
- Thomas, R. J., Mount, T. D., Schuler, R. E., Schulze, W. D., Zimmerman, R. D., Alvarado, F., Lesieutre, B. C., Overholt, P. N., & Eto, J. H. (2008). Efficient and Reliable Reactive Power Supply and Consumption: Insights from an Integrated Program of Engineering and Economic Research. The Energy Journal. 21:70-81.
- Chapman, D., Vossler, C. A., Mount, T. D., Barboni, V., Thomas, R., & Zimmerman, R. D. (2004). Market efficiency, competition, and communication in electric power markets: experimental results. 48:317-327.
- Zimmerman, R. D., & Chiang, H. (1995). Fast Decoupled Power Flow for Unbalanced Radial Distribution Systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 10:2045-2052.
- Mao, B., Murillo-Sánchez, C., & Zimmerman, R. D. (2016). E4ST 1.0b2. Ithaca, NY, US.
Presentations and Activities
- Secure Planning and Operations of Systems with Stochastic Sources, Energy Storage and Active Demand. FERC Technical Conference on Increasing Real-Time and Day-Ahead Market Efficiency through Improved Software. June 2013. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Washington, DC USA.
- Mapping Energy Futures: The SuperOPF Planning Tool. FERC Workshop on the Next Generation of Transmission Planning Models. March 2013. Washington, DC USA.
- A SuperOPF Framework. FERC Technical Conference on Increasing Market and Planning Efficiency Through Improved Software and Hardware - Enhanced Optimal Power Flow Models. June 2010. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Washington, DC.