Areas of Expertise
- Business Strategy
- Digital Industries
- Innovation Strategy
- Technological Change
- Applied Economics and Management
- Doctorate Helsinki School of Economics, 2000
- Visiting Fulbright student in the Ph. D. program of the Walter A. Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley, 1998
- Master of Science Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration, 1993
Aija Leiponen joined the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management in 2001. She received her PhD in economics from the Helsinki School of Economics after a Fulbright scholarship at the Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley. Prior to joining Cornell University, she carried out research at the International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) in Austria, the Institute for Industrial Relations at UC Berkeley, and the Research Institute of the Finnish Economy (ETLA) in Finland. Between 2009 and 2011, she was on the faculty of Imperial College Business School in London, UK.
My research focuses on the sources and effects of technological change in the economy. The overarching goal of my research program is to understand the role of inter-organizational cooperation in innovation. For example, I have examined the collaborative creation and transfer of knowledge between service firms and their clients, the effects of collaboration on IP strategies of small firms, the decentralization of R&D activities into geographically distinct units, and the cooperative creation of technological standards in wireless telecommunications.
In ongoing projects I examine the creation of open standards in the emerging smart grid industry, the effects of wireless telecom industry consortia on firms' litigation activities, and the emergence and governance of the (big) data economy, including the Internet of Things.
Strategy in digital industries
Organization and management
- Thomas, L. D., & Leiponen, A. E. (2016). Big Data Commercialization. IEEE Engineering Management Review. 44:74-90.
- Koutroumpis, P., & Leiponen, A. E. (2016). Crowdsourcing mobile coverage. Telecommunications Policy. 40:515-594.
- Bar, T., & Leiponen, A. E. (2014). Committee Composition and Networking in Standard Setting: The Case of Wireless Telecommunications. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy. 23:1-23.
- Delcamp, H., & Leiponen, A. E. (2014). Innovating Standards Through Informal Consortia: The Case of Wireless Telecommunications. International Journal of Industrial Organization. 36:36-47.
- Leiponen, A. E. (2012). The Benefits of R&D and Strategic Breadth in Innovation: A Comparison of Finnish Service and Manufacturing firms. Industrial and Corporate Change. 21:1255-1281.
- Leiponen, A. E., & Bar, T. (2012). A measure of technological distance. Economics Letters. 116:457-459.
- Leiponen, A. E., & Helfat, C. E. (2010). Location, Decentralization, and Knowledge Sources for Innovation. Organization Science. 22:641-658.
- Leiponen, A. E., & Helfat, C. E. (2010). Innovation Objectives, Knowledge Sources, and the Benefits of Breadth. Strategic Management Journal. 31:224 - 236.
- Leiponen, A. E., & Byma, J. (2009). If You Cannot Block, You Better Run: Small Firms, Cooperative Innovation, and Appropriation Strategies. Research Policy. 38:1478-1488.
- Leiponen, A. E. (2008). Competing Through Cooperation: Standard-Setting in Wireless Telecommunications. Management Science. 54:1904-1919.