Director of the Tata-Cornell Institute for Agriculture and Nutrition Initiative
- International and Development Economics and Policy
ContactCharles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management
Cornell Directory Entry
Prabhu Pingali is a professor in the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management at Cornell University, with a joint appointment in the Division of Nutritional Sciences. Professor Pingali is the founding director of the Tata-Cornell Institute for Agriculture and Nutrition (TCI). Prior to joining Cornell, he was the deputy director of the Agricultural Development Division of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, from 2008 to May 2013. He was director of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization's Agriculture and Development Economics Division from 2002-2007.
In addition, he worked with the CGIAR for 15 years from 1987-2002, first with IRRI in the Philippines and then with CIMMYT in Mexico. Pingali is a member in the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and an AAEA Fellow. He has over three decades of experience working with some of the leading international agricultural development organizations as a research economist, development practitioner, and senior manager. He has written ten books and over 100 refereed journal articles and book chapters on food policy.
- Pingali, Prabhu; Abraham, Mathew. "Unravelling India’s malnutrition dilemma- A Path toward nutrition-sensitive agriculture" Agriculture for Improved Nutrition: Seizing the Momentum, Ed. Shenggen Fan, Ed. Sivan Yosef, Ed. Rajul Pandya-Lorch. CAB International. (forthcoming).
- Pingali, Prabhu; Feder, Gershon. "Agriculture and Rural Development in a Globalizing World: Challenges and Opportunities" Earthscan Food and Agriculture Series, Ed. Prabhu Pingali, Ed. Gershon Feder. Routledge. 1 (2017): 404pp
- Pingali, Prabhu; Rao, Tanvi. "Understanding the Multidimensional Nature of the Malnutrition Problem in India" Agriculture and Rural Development in a Globalizing World: Challenges and Opportunities, Ed. Prabhu Pingali, Ed. Gershon Feder. (2017): Ch.15
- Pingali, Prabhu; Sunder, N. "Transitioning Toward Nutrition-Sensitive Food Systems in Developing Countries" Annual Review of Resource Economics. 9.2017 (2017): 439-459 (20pp)
- Pingali, Prabhu; Mittra, Bhaskar; Rahman, Andaleeb. "The Bumpy Road from Food to Nutrition Security – Slow Evolution of India's Food Policy" Global Food Security, Ed. Derek Byerlee. (forthcoming).
- Pingali, Prabhu. "The Green Revolution and Crop Diversity" Handbook of Agricultural Biodiversity, Ed. D. Hunter, Ed. L. Guarino, Ed. C. Spillane, Ed. P. McKeown. Routledge. (2017): 213-223
- Gupta, Souya; Pingali, Prabhu; Pinstrup-Andersen, Per. "Women’s Empowerment in Indian Agriculture: Does Market Orientation of Farming Systems Matter?" Food Security. 9.6 (2017): 1447–1463
- Abraham, Mathew; Pingali, Prabhu. "Transforming smallholder agriculture to achieve the SDGs" The role of small farms in food and nutrition security. Springer. (2017)
- Pingali, Prabhu. "Opinion: The Hunger Metrics Mirage: There’s Been Less Progress on Hunger Reduction Than it Appears" Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. National Academy of Sciences. 113.18 (2016): 4880–4883
- Pingali, Prabhu. "Agricultural Policy and Nutrition Outcomes - Getting Beyond the Preoccupation with Staple Grains" Food Security. 7.3 (2015): 583-591
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Alumnus (2018) Birla Institute of Technology and Science - Rajasthan, India
- Outstanding Alumnus (2010) North Carolina State University
- Honorary Life Member (Equivalent to Fellow) (2009) International Association of Agricultural Economists
- Elected Member (Foreign Associate) (2007) U.S. National Academy of Sciences
- Distinguished Fellow (2006) American Agricultural Economics Association
- AEM 9900 - Doctoral-Level Thesis Research
- AEM 4880/FDSC 4880/CHEME 4880/ANSC 4880 - Global Food, Energy, and Water Nexus – Engage the US, China, and India for Sustainability
- AEM 7900 - Graduate-Level Thesis Research
- AEM 7000 - Individual Study in Applied Economics and Management
- AEM 8900 - Master's Level Thesis Research
- AEM 4450/NS 4450 - Toward a Sustainable Global Food System: Food Policy for Developing Countries
- AEM 4990 - Undergraduate Research
- PhD North Carolina State University, 1982
- MA Birla Institute of Technology and Science, 1977