Mueller Family Sesquicentennial Faculty Fellow in Agribusiness and Farm Management
- Farm and Agribusiness Management
- Food and Agricultural Economics
- Real Estate
- Crop Insurance
ContactCharles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management
Cornell Directory Entry
Jennifer Ifft is an Assistant Professor in the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management at Cornell University. She has research and extension responsibilities in farm and agribusiness management. Her research covers farmland markets, risk management and farm labor issues, with a focus on how government policies and regulations affect farm viability and decision-making. Her extension programs focuses on performance of the Federal crop insurance program and increasing the resilience of U.S. and New York farm operations to policy and regulatory changes. Before Cornell, she worked in the Farm Economy Branch of the USDA Economic Research Service. She has a PhD from the University of California - Berkeley, an MPhil from the University of Cambridge and a BS from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She grew up on her family’s farm in central Illinois.
- Du, Xiaoxue; Ifft, Jennifer; Lu, Liang; Zilberman, David. "Marketing Contracts and Crop Insurance" American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 97.5 (2015): 1360-1370
- Ifft, Jennifer; Kuethe, Todd; Morehart, Mitch. "The Impact of Decoupled Payments on U.S. Cropland Values" Agricultural Economics. 46.5 (2015): 643-652
- Ifft, Jennifer; Kuethe, Todd; Morehart, Mitch. "Does federal crop insurance lead to higher farm debt use? Evidence from the Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS)" Agricultural Finance Review. 75.3 (2015): 349-367
- Borchers, Allison; Ifft, Jennifer; Kuethe, Todd. "Linking the Price of Agricultural Land to Use Values and Amenities" American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 96.5 (2014): 1307-1320
- Ifft, Jennifer; Wu, Shang; Kuethe, Todd. "The Impact of Pasture Insurance on Farmland Values" Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 43.3 (2014): 390-405
- Ifft, Jennifer; Roland-Holst, David; Zilberman, David. "Consumer Valuation of Safety-Labeled Free-Range Chicken: Results of a Field Experiment in Hanoi" Agricultural Economics. 43.6 (2012): 607-620
- Ifft, Jennifer; Rajagopal, Deepak; Weldzuis, Ryan. "Ethanol Plant Location and Land Use: A Case Study of CRP and the Ethanol Mandate" (in preparation).
- Ho, S.; Ifft, Jennifer; Rickard, Bradley; Turvey, Calum. "Alternative Strategies to Manage Weather Risk in Perennial Fruit Crop Production" Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 47.1 (forthcoming).
- Ifft, Jennifer; Roland-Holst, David; Zilberman, David. "Production and Risk Prevention Response of Free Range Chicken Producers in Viet Nam to Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Out-breaks" American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 93.2 (2011): 1-8
- Ifft, Jennifer; Patrick, Kevin; Kuhns, Ryan. "Predicting Credit Demand with ARMS: A Machine Learning Approach" (in preparation).
Awards and Honors
- Gates Cambridge Scholar (2003)
- Outstanding Paper (2016) Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence
- Outstanding Choices Article Award (2012) The Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
- AEM 9900 - Doctoral-Level Thesis Research
- AEM 7900 - Graduate-Level Thesis Research
- AEM 8900 - Master's Level Thesis Research
- AEM 6990 - M.P.S. Research
- Ph D University of California Berkeley, 2011
- M.Phil University of Cambridge, 2003
- BS University of Illinois, 2002
In the news
March 10, 2017
The Ongoing Debate over Farmland Taxation