Catherine Louise Kling
- Environmental, Energy and Resource Economics and Policy
Catherine L. Kling is a Professor in the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management and Faculty Director at the Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future. She is past Director of the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development at Iowa State University where she also held the President's Chair in Environmental Economics. She was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2015.
Kling has published nearly 100 refereed journal articles and books chapters which have received over 8000 (google scholar) citations and is the editor of the Review of Environmental Economics and Policy. She specializes in the economic valuation of ecosystem services and integrated assessment modeling for water quality modeling. Her research program has received over $7 million in funding from the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Agriculture, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, the US Environmental Protection Agency, among others.
Kling chairs the Water Science and Technology Board of the National Academy of Sciences and has been a member of six National Research Council studies. She served as president of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, has held editorial positions at ten economics journals, and has received seven awards from professional associations for her research. She is an elected Fellow of the Association of Environmental and Resources Economists, the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association, and a University Fellow at Resources for the Future. She served for ten years on EPA’s Science Advisory Board.
- Kling, Catherine; Phaneuf, Daniel; Zhao, Jinhua. "From Exxon to BP: Has Some Number Become Better than No Number?" The Journal of Economic Perspectives. 26.4 (2012): 3-26
- "The Measurement of Environmental and Resource Values: Theory and Methods", Ed. A. Myrick Freeman III, Ed. Joseph Herriges, Ed. Catherine Kling. RFF Press. (2014)
- Kling, Catherine; List, John; Zhao, Jinhua. "A Dynamic Explanation of the Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept Disparity" Economic Inquiry. 51.1 (2013): 909-921
- Rabotyagov, Sergey; Campbell, Todd; White, Michael; Arnold, Jeffrey; Atwood, Jay; Norfleet, M. Lee; Kling, Catherine; Gassman, Philip; Valcu, Adriana; Richardson, Jeffrey; Turner, R.; Rabalais, Nancy. "Cost-effective targeting of conservation investments to reduce the northern Gulf of Mexico hypoxic zone" Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111.52 (2014): 18530-18535
- Zhao, Jinhua; Kling, Catherine. "Willingness to pay, compensating variation, and the cost of commitment" Economic Inquiry. 42.3 (2004): 503-517
- Kling, Catherine; Rubin, Jonathan. "Bankable permits for the control of environmental pollution" Journal of Public Economics. 64.1 (1997): 101-115
- Phaneuf, Daniel; Kling, Catherine; Herriges, Joseph. "Estimation and Welfare Calculations in a Generalized Corner Solution Model with an Application to Recreation Demand" The Review of Economics and Statistics. 82.1 (2000): 83-92
- Zhao, Jinhua; Kling, Catherine. "Welfare Measures when Agents can Learn: A Unifying Theory*" The Economic Journal. 119.540 (2009): 1560-1585
- Rabotyagov, Sergey; Kling, Catherine; Gassman, P.; Rabalais, N.; Turner, R. "The Economics of Dead Zones: Causes, Impacts, Policy Challenges, and a Model of the Gulf of Mexico Hypoxic Zone" Review of Environmental Economics and Policy. 8.1 (2014): 58-79
- Kling, Catherine; Arritt, Raymond; Calhoun, Gray; Keiser, David. "Integrated Assessment Models of the Food, Energy, and Water Nexus: A Review and an Outline of Research Needs" Annual Review of Resource Economics. 9.1 (2017): 143-163
Awards and Honors
- Elected Member (2015) National Academy of Sciences
- Fellow (2015) Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (AERE)
- Fellow (2006) American Agricultural Economics Association (AAEA)
- President (2013) Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Ph D University of Maryland, 1986
- BBA University of Iowa, 1981