- Associate Professor
- Behavioral Economics and Decision Research
- Behavioral Research
Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management
Byoung-Hyoun Hwang is an associate professor of finance at the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business. He teaches the introduction to finance course to Cornell business undergraduate students. Dr. Hwang's research has been published in leading academic journals. It has also been described in various media outlets such as the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg. Dr. Hwang is an associate editor for Management Science. He advises government organizations, such as the SEC, and international organizations, such as the IMF. Dr. Hwang received a PhD in finance from Emory University in 2009. Born and raised in Germany, he used to be a competitive golfer and swimmer. These days, he just likes to relax. He is married to Dr. Soo Kim (a professor in marketing, also at the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business), and they live together with their son, Yungu, in Ithaca, NY.
- Green, T.; Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun. "Price-Based Return Comovement" Journal of Financial Economics. 93 (2009): 37-50
- Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun; Kim, Seoyoung. "It Pays to Have Friends" Journal of Financial Economics. 93 (2009): 138-158
- Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun. "Country-Specific Sentiment and Security Prices" Journal of Financial Economics. 100 (2011): 382-401
- Green, T.; Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun. "Initial Public Offerings as Lotteries: Skewness Preference and First-Day Returns" Management Science. 58.2 (2012): 432-444
- Chen, Hailiang; De, Prabuddha; Hu, Yu; Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun. "Wisdom of Crowds: The Value of Stock Opinions Transmitted Through Social Media" Review of Financial Studies. 27.5 (2014): 1367-1403
- Lee, Joon; Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun; Chen, Hailiang. "Are Founder CEOs more Overconfident than Professional CEOs? Evidence from S&P 1500 Companies" Strategic Management Journal. 38.3 (2017): 751-769
- Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun; Kim, Hugh. "It Pays to Write Well" Journal of Financial Economics. 124.2 (2017): 373-394
- Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun; Liu, Baixiao; Xu, Wei. "Arbitrage Involvement and Security Prices" Management Science. (forthcoming).
- Hwang, Byoung-Hyoun; Liberti, Jose; Sturgess, Jason. "Information Sharing and Spillovers: Evidence from Financial Analysts" Management Science. (forthcoming).
- AEM 2240 - Finance for Dyson Majors
- AEM 4970 - Individual Study in Applied Economics and Management
- AEM 8900 - Master's Level Thesis Research
- AEM 6990 - M.P.S. Research
- AEM 6980 - Supervised Graduate Teaching Experience
- AEM 4980 - Supervised Teaching Experience
- AEM 4990 - Undergraduate Research
- PhD Emory University, 2009
- BS European School of Business (Germany), 2004