Bruce F. Failing, Sr., Professor of Personal Enterprise
Areas of Expertise
Entrepreneurship, Small Business Management
Entrepreneurship and small business management are the focus of Professor Streeter's research, teaching, and outreach programs. She is part of the university-wide Entrepreneurship@Cornell, which offers courses in entrepreneurship in almost all of Cornell's schools and colleges. Her research interests include the role of entrepreneurship and small business in economic development, with a particular focus on the effectiveness of business training and planning for start-ups.
Professor Streeter has developed eClips, a database of digital video interviews with entrepreneurs across the country. The in-depth interviews are digitized, cut into clips by topic, and are used in a multimedia format to teach entrepreneurship and small business management. The entrepreneurs she interviewed range from early start-ups to established companies and from high-tech Internet companies to manufacturing and service firms.
Professor Streeter is also involved in helping to train start-up businesses in New York State. As part of the Entrepreneurial Education and Outreach Program, she is currently involved in a variety of programs aimed at helping New York entrepreneurs make informed choices about entrepreneurial ventures.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1984
M.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1980
B.A., University of Connecticut, 1976
AEM 1210: Entrepreneurial Thought Leadership Seminar
AEM 3249: Entrepreneurial Marketing and Strategy
AEM 3250: Business Planning Process for New Ventures
AEM 3340: Women, Leadership, and Entrepreneurship
AEM 3381: Social Entrepreneurship Field Study
AEM 4660: Market Dynamics, Computer Simulation and Modeling
Gow, Hamish R., Deborah H. Streeter, and Johan F. M. Swinnen. 2000. How private contract enforcement mechanisms can succeed where public institutions fail: The case of Juhocukor a.s. Agricultural Economics 23:253-65.
Streeter, Deborah H., and N. Bills. 1998. Information strategies for agricultural exporters. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review 1(1):25-40.
- Director, Entrepreneurship Education and Outreach Program
- NxLevel Program (business planning for startups)
- Multimedia Development Project: Market Research, Analysis and Strategy for Entrepreneurs in Farm-Related and Food Businesses
Recent Grants and Contracts
- Hatch Project to study collaboration among providers of small business support programs
Achievements and Awards
- Olympus Innovation Award, 2007
- Stephen Weiss Presidential Fellow, 2000
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2000
- Outstanding Educator in Influencing Merrill Presidential Scholar, 2000
- Innovative Teacher Award, 1999
- Outstanding Educator in Influencing Merrill Presidential Scholar, 1999
- Outstanding Educator in influencing Merrill Presidential Scholar, 1996
- Young Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, 1994