Internal Transfer Applicants
Current Cornell students may apply for internal transfer admission to the applied economics and management (AEM) major in the Dyson School. Please pay careful attention to the information provided here as you consider applying. The Dyson School enrolls transfer students in the fall semester only.
Cornell internal transfer applicants should have a very strong academic record in their current program and should be prepared to communicate thoughtfully and in some detail about their interests and reasons for preferring to study in the Dyson School. Internal transfer admission into Dyson is extremely competitive and therefore not all applicants who meet the criteria below are accepted.
Rising sophomores and rising juniors (i.e., those who apply in their freshman or sophomore year) currently attending Cornell University are eligible to apply as internal transfer applicants. Preference is given to current freshman applicants. Current juniors and seniors are not eligible for internal transfer to the Dyson School. Students who transferred to Cornell from another university or college are also not eligible for internal transfer to the Dyson School.*
Freshmen exploring the possibility of transferring to Dyson should familiarize themselves with AEM prerequisites to ensure that courses taken during the first year will meet Dyson School requirements.
* FYSA students can apply for internal transfer to the Dyson School in their first or third semester.
Internal transfer applicants must meet (or complete during the semester in which they apply) the following requirements to be considered for admission:
- Minimum Cornell GPA of 2.75 (note: successful applicants usually have at least a 3.3 GPA)
- Full-time (12-credit-minimum) standing each semester, with few, if any, S/U graded courses
- Good standing in current college
- Successful completion of ECON 1110. AP credit will be accepted.
- Successful completion of calculus. AP credit accepted by Cornell can fulfill this requirement.
- “B+” grade or better in one of the following introductory statistics courses. An AP statistics score of 5 waives the need to take a Cornell statistics course.
Note: Students should take the statistics class housed within their current college or major.
Your internal transfer application is strengthened if you take at least one quantitative course each semester. Possible courses include the following:
- AEM 2770: Excursions in Computational Sustainability
- AEM 3100: Business Statistics
- AEM 4110: Introduction to Econometrics
- AEM 4120: Computational Methods for Management and Economics
- ECON 3110 (cross-listed as ILRST 3110): Probability Models and Inference for the Social Sciences
- ECON 3130: Statistics and Probability
- ECON 3140: Econometrics
- ILRST 2110: Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences II
- MATH 1120: Calculus II
- CS 1110: Introduction to Computing Using Python
- CS 1112: Introduction to Computing Using MATLAB
Courses available to freshmen that fulfill AEM requirements and can inform your decision to transfer to Dyson include the following:
- AEM 1220: Entrepreneurship in the Life Sciences: Past, Present, and Future
- AEM 1500: An Introduction to the Economics of Environmental and Natural Resources
- AEM 2050: Introduction to Agricultural and Development Finance
- AEM 2110: The Business of Biofuels
- AEM 2230: Cooperative Business Management
- AEM 2300 (cross-listed as ECON 2300): International Trade and Finance
- AEM 2350: Introduction to the Economics of Development
- AEM 3020: Farm Business Management
- ECON 1120: Introductory Macroeconomics (or AP Macroeconomics credit)
Do not feel you must choose courses from this list; it is provided for your information only.
Note: Management, marketing, accounting, and finance courses offered as part of the university minor in business do not fulfill Dyson major requirements and therefore should not be taken by freshmen applying to transfer.
In addition to coursework, your internal application to the Dyson School will be evaluated on qualitative factors such as work experience, volunteer activities, leadership positions, internships, and your ability to explain in detail why the AEM major is a good fit for you.
Application Process and Timeline
The Dyson School enrolls transfer students in the fall semester only. Internal transfer applications are accepted during the prior spring semester. The application deadline is the last day of instruction in May. Late applications will not be reviewed and extensions are not granted.
Steps in the internal transfer application process:
- Complete an online Dyson internal transfer supplement.
The Dyson Internal Transfer Supplement gathers information about your background and your interest in the AEM major in the Dyson School. You will be able to submit the supplement starting in January.
- Complete the Cornell internal transfer application.
The Internal Transfer Application for Dyson will be available by February. The application deadline is the last day of instruction in May. Late applications will not be reviewed and extensions are not granted.
- Submit a Current Resume.
You can upload your resume as a PDF via the Dyson Internal Transfer Supplement.
Dyson makes its fall internal transfer admission decisions after final grades for the spring semester have been recorded. We will email your decision letter in June to the address noted on your application.
Questions and Contacts
If you have any questions on your eligibility, admissions requirements, or the application process, please email us at email@example.com. Spring office hours will be posted soon.
The Admissions Office will also hold information sessions in-person and online. The next information session will be on March 19th at 4:30 p.m. in 150 Warren Hall.
We will also be hosting a virtual information session via Zoom on April 9th at 8pm. Please register in advance for that session here.
If you happen to miss one of our information sessions or have more questions, please come to our Walk-in Hours listed below. These are 15 minute conversations with the SC Johnson College of Business Admissions Team. Please be prepared with questions and plan accordingly as there may be a waiting period to see a counselor.
- Tuesday, April 16 4:00-5:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 17 4:00-5:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 23 4:00-5:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 24 4:00-5:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 30 4:00-5:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 1 4:00-5:00 pm
Office of Undergraduate and Master’s Programs Admissions
SC Johnson College of Business
149 Statler Hall