Internal Transfer Applicants
Current Cornell students may apply for internal transfer admission to the applied economics and management (AEM) major in the Dyson School. Please pay careful attention to the information provided here as you consider applying. The Dyson School enrolls transfer students in the fall semester only.
Cornell internal transfer applicants should have a very strong academic record in their current program and should be prepared to communicate thoughtfully and in some detail about their interests and reasons for preferring to study in the Dyson School. Internal transfer admission into Dyson is extremely competitive and therefore not all applicants who meet the criteria below are accepted.
Rising sophomores and rising juniors (i.e., those who apply in their freshman or sophomore year) currently attending Cornell University are eligible to apply as internal transfer applicants. Preference is given to current freshman applicants. Current juniors and seniors are not eligible for internal transfer to the Dyson School. Students who transferred to Cornell from another university or college are also not eligible for internal transfer to the Dyson School.*
Freshmen exploring the possibility of transferring to Dyson should familiarize themselves with AEM prerequisites to ensure that courses taken during the first year will meet Dyson School requirements.
* FYSA students can apply for internal transfer to the Dyson School in their first or third semester.
Internal transfer applicants must meet (or complete during the semester in which they apply) the following requirements to be considered for admission:
- Minimum Cornell GPA of 2.75 (note: successful applicants usually have at least a 3.3 GPA)
- Full-time (12-credit-minimum) standing each semester, with few, if any, S/U graded courses
- Good standing in current college
- Successful completion of ECON 1110
- Successful completion of one of the following calculus courses:
- Successful completion of one of the following statistics courses:
* Students should take the statistics class housed within their current college or major.
Please note that the Dyson School will not accept AP or IB credit for the required courses above. Students must take these courses at Cornell prior to enrolling in the Dyson School.
Your internal transfer application is strengthened if you take at least one quantitative course each semester. Possible courses include the following:
- AEM 2770: Excursions in Computational Sustainability
- AEM 3100: Business Statistics
- AEM 4110: Introduction to Econometrics
- AEM 4120: Computational Methods for Management and Economics
- ECON 3110 (cross-listed as ILRST 3110): Probability Models and Inference for the Social Sciences
- ECON 3130: Statistics and Probability
- ECON 3140: Econometrics
- ILRST 2110: Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences II
Courses available to freshmen that fulfill AEM requirements and can inform your decision to transfer to Dyson include the following:
Do not feel you must choose courses from this list; it is provided for your information only.
Note: Management, marketing, accounting, and finance courses offered as part of the university minor in business do not fulfill Dyson major requirements and therefore should not be taken by freshmen applying to transfer. Current curriculum requirements are subject to change and internal transfers will be held to the major requirements for the year in which they matriculate to Dyson.
In addition to coursework, your internal application to the Dyson School will be evaluated on qualitative factors such as work experience, volunteer activities, leadership positions, internships, and your ability to explain in detail why the AEM major is a good fit for you.
Application Process and Timeline
The Dyson School enrolls transfer students in the fall semester only. Internal transfer applications are accepted during the prior spring semester. The application deadline is the last day of instruction in May. Late applications will not be reviewed and extensions are not granted.
Steps in the internal transfer application process:
- Complete an online Dyson internal transfer supplement.
The Dyson Internal Transfer Supplement gathers information about your background and your interest in the AEM major in the Dyson School. You will be able to submit the supplement starting in January.
- Complete the Cornell internal transfer application.
The Internal Transfer Application for Dyson will be available by February. The application deadline is the last day of instruction in May. Late applications will not be reviewed and extensions are not granted.
- Submit a Current Resume.
You can upload your resume as a PDF via the Dyson Internal Transfer Supplement.
Dyson makes its fall internal transfer admission decisions after final grades for the spring semester have been recorded. We will email your decision letter in June to the address noted on your application.
Questions and Contacts
The Admissions Office will hold information sessions on internally transferring on the following dates:
- Tuesday, October 6th, 6:30-7:30 pm ET via Zoom. Please register for the session in advance here: Zoom Registration Link.
- Tuesday, November 3rd, 8-9 am ET via Zoom. Please register for the session in advance here: Zoom Registration Link.
The Admissions Office will also hold virtual office hours at the following times. These appointments will only be for 15 minutes and will be on a first come first serve basis with a virtual waiting room. Advanced registration is not required for office hours.
- Thursday, October 15th, 8-9 am ET via Zoom. Link to join: Zoom Office Hours Link.
- Thursday October 15th, 6:30-7:30 pm ET via Zoom. Link to join: Zoom Office Hours Link.
- Thursday, October 22nd, 6:30-7:30 pm ET via Zoom. Link to join: Zoom Office Hours Link.
- Thursday, October 29th, 8-9 am ET via Zoom. Link to join: Zoom Office Link.
- Thursday, November 5th, 6:30-7:30 pm ET via Zoom. Link to join: Zoom Office Hours Link.
- Thursday, November 12th, 6:30-7:30 pm ET via Zoom. Link to join: Zoom Office Hours Link.
In addition, if you have any questions on your eligibility, admissions requirements, or the application process, please email us at email@example.com. While the Admissions Office will not be open, students can contact the office via email or phone any time Monday through Friday, 8:00 am-4:30 pm to speak with an Admissions Counselor.
Office of Undergraduate and Master’s Programs Admissions
SC Johnson College of Business
289 Statler Hall
Maria Jiang '16
Environmental, Energy, and Resource Economics
The support. In classes, everyone works together to strengthen their understanding of concepts. Study groups are commonplace and nonexclusive. The majority of classes are TA'ed by peers who have taken the classes before. This means your TAs know exactly how to help you understand the most difficult lessons, because they were once there, too. Dyson also offers the widest variety of concentrations I found while applying to business schools. I got to specialize in environmental, energy, and resource economics right off the bat, without having to wait years and years until graduate school.