Who Should Apply
Whether you want to complement your professional skills or are looking to make a career change, the MPS in Applied Economics and Management may be a fit for you. While many of our students have existing professional experience, we consider all applicants, regardless of experience level.
Applicants need not have majored in economics-related fields as undergraduates to be considered, although any deficiencies in preparation may lengthen the graduate program.
For those interested in one of the five concentrations, following is a snapshot of the backgrounds and interests typical of students who go into each.
- Individuals who want to take on the big issues perplexing the industry by using the emerging tools of behavioral economics; including those with undergraduate degrees in any major who are looking for an applied context to leverage their skills.
- Individuals interested in high-impact careers in behavioral sciences but who are still exploring various domains including economics, psychology, marketing, public health, nutrition, communication, and food science
- Students with a BA or BS degree from an accredited school with at least one semester of calculus
- Individuals from a science and technology background who are interested in learning about business and economics in order to become leaders in their fields
- Engineering and science majors who wish to build professional careers in technology and innovation
- Undergraduate business majors who would like to learn about technology topics and connect with technical students
- Individuals with interest in contemporary environmental and resource-policy issues and methods, including bio-economic modeling, energy economics, experimental economics, and policy analysis
- Individuals interested in the international and development economics community who work in a wide variety of areas, including emerging markets, agricultural development and food policy, and distributional and welfare impact of growth
- Students interested in food industry or agribusiness, including management, marketing, or finance specializations
- Individuals interested in learning to address the comprehensive vertical (from land to consumer) problems, including marketing, demand analysis, and quantitative methods
How to Apply
Interested students should apply online through the Cornell University Graduate School. Select “Applied Economics & Management” for field and follow the instructions for applying to the MPS-AEM program. Applicants must submit all of the following items to be considered for admission and financial support the subsequent fall term.
- The Cornell University Graduate School application form
- Statement of purpose explaining academic interest and relation to professional goals
- BS or BA from an accredited university: Submit all undergraduate transcript(s) along with any graduate school transcripts. Upload all transcripts into the online application form. Students who are subsequently admitted and accept the offer of admission will be required to submit an official paper transcript prior to matriculation.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons who can appraise the academic potential of the applicant
- Results of the GRE/GMAT examination (Institution code = 2098). There are no minimum GRE score requirements; applicants you will be competing with for admission typically have 85 percent and above in each category.
All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting official TOEFL or IELTS scores. The MPS in Applied Economics and Management program does not accept My Best Score reports for the TOEFL examination and requires a minimum cumulative TOEFL score of 100 in addition to the minimum sub-scores that can be found on the Graduate School’s website.
In some cases, these testing requirements can be waived. For more information on score minimums, how to submit test scores, and the criteria for waiving the requirement, please visit the Graduate School’s website.
|Round 1*||December 1|
|Round 2*||January 15|
|Round 3||March 1|
|Round 4||April 15|
* CEMS MIM applications are only accepted in Rounds 1 and 2. International applicants are encouraged to apply for the round 1 and 2 application deadlines.
Applicants must submit all application materials by the deadline for their desired round in order to have their application considered in that round. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Decisions are made after each round deadline. Once you submit your application and pay the application fee, you will receive a confirmation email. Applicants may be admitted, denied, or postponed until later in the admission cycle.
Costs, Tuition, and Housing
For information on tuition and the costs of attendance, please see the Graduate School page on costs and funding.
University housing for single graduate students and those with families is available in residence halls and university-maintained apartments. Private, off-campus housing is also available. Information on university and non-university housing is automatically mailed to all applicants when they are accepted for admission to the Graduate School.