MPS-AEM Admissions Information
Who Should Apply to the MPS in AEM Program?
Whether you want to complement your professional skills or are looking to make a career change, the MPS in Applied Economics and Management may be a fit for you. While many of our MPS students have existing professional experience, we consider all applicants, regardless of experience level.
MPS program applicants need not have majored in economics-related fields as undergraduates to be considered, although any deficiencies in preparation may lengthen the graduate program.
All MPS in AEM students select one of six specialized, industry-focused concentrations:
- Behavioral Finance
- Behavioral Marketing
- Business of Food
- International and Development Economics
- Sustainable Business and Economic Policy
- Technology Management
How to Apply to the MPS-AEM Program?
Our application will be available September 1. Interested students should apply online through the Cornell University Graduate School. Select “Applied Economics & Management” as the field and follow the instructions for applying to the MPS-AEM program. Applicants must submit all of the following items to be considered for admission and financial support the subsequent fall term.
- The Cornell University Graduate School application form
- Statement of purpose explaining academic interest and relation to professional goals
- Video Interview: After you submit your application, you will be sent an email invitation to complete a video essay, where you will be asked to give short verbal responses to pre-recorded questions. Note, an invitation to the video interview will be sent automatically after submitting your application. Please monitor your inbox carefully as your application will not be considered complete until the video interview is submitted. The video interview is designed to assess your fit for the program and your communication skills.
- BS or BA from an accredited university: Submit all undergraduate transcript(s) along with any graduate school transcripts. Upload all transcripts into the online application form. Students who are subsequently admitted and accept the offer of admission will be required to submit an official paper transcript prior to matriculation.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons who can appraise the academic potential of the applicant
- A non-refundable application fee of $105. The application fee will be waived for all current or former United States military members and for all Cornell students and recent alumni (graduates within two years of application date). In either of these cases, please contact email@example.com for a fee waiver code prior to submitting your application. Please indicate in your message if you are a current or former United States military member or a current or former Cornell student.
- Results of the GRE/GMAT examination* (Institution code = 2098). There are no minimum GRE score requirements; applicants you will be competing with for admission typically have 85 percent and above in each category.
- *The MPS in Applied Economics and Management program has made submitting the GMAT/GRE optional for the fall 2022 admission cycle. When considering whether or not to submit the GMAT/GRE, please consider the following:
- Compelling applicants to the MPS program will demonstrate strong quantitative skills and English language proficiency.
- Our admissions committee uses a holistic approach to review applications, and will seek evidence of quantitative exposure through your resume, academic transcript, essay, and letters of recommendation.
- The GMAT/GRE is one way to demonstrate quantitative competency and English language proficiency to the admissions committee.
- All applications will be considered “complete” without GMAT/GRE test scores. If you plan to submit test scores, please schedule them to be sent to us well in advance of the application deadline so they can be reviewed with your application.
- The MPS program will accept the GRE General Test at Home and GMAT Online Exam for the fall 2022 admission cycle.
- This GMAT/GRE test optional policy is in place for the fall 2022 admissions cycle only.
International MPS Applicants
All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting official TOEFL or IELTS scores. The MPS in Applied Economics and Management program does not accept My Best Score reports for the TOEFL examination and requires a minimum cumulative TOEFL score of 100 in addition to the minimum sub-scores that can be found on the Graduate School’s website.
In some cases, these MPS testing requirements can be waived. For more information on score minimums, how to submit test scores, and the criteria for waiving the requirement, please visit the Graduate School’s website.
IELTS and TOEFL Arrangements for COVID-19
COVID-19 has disrupted the ability of applicants in countries worldwide to take in-person English language proficiency exams.
We will temporarily accept at home test results for 2022 admission. Here are some additional options:
- IELTS Indicator allows test takers to take the IELTS Academic exam online from the comfort and safety of their home. The test is available for a limited time in countries where IELTS testing has been suspended due to COVID-19.
- TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition is being offered temporarily to meet the needs of students who are unable to take the TOEFL iBT® at a test center due to public health concerns. The test is identical in content and format to the regular exam and is available everywhere that the TOEFL iBT test is normally available, with the exception of China and Iran.
TOEFL ITP® Plus for China is a secure testing solution available exclusively for test takers in Mainland China until TOEFL iBT® testing is available.
MPS Admissions Timeline
|Round 1||December 1|
|Round 2*||January 15|
|Round 3||March 1|
|Round 4||April 15|
* CEMS MIM applicants must submit a complete application by January 15. International applicants are encouraged to apply for the round 1 and 2 application deadlines.
Applicants must submit all application materials by the deadline for their desired round in order to have their application considered in that round. We strongly encourage all applicants to submit their online application and supporting materials at least two weeks in advance of the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
MPS Admissions Decisions
Decisions are made after each round deadline. Once you submit your application and pay the application fee, you will receive a confirmation email. Applicants may be admitted, denied, or postponed until later in the admission cycle.
MPS Program Costs, Tuition, and Housing
Most MPS students rely on a combination of federal and private loans to finance their educational and living expenses. For information on tuition and the costs of attendance for the Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Applied Economics and Management (AEM), please see the Graduate School page on costs and funding.
Thanks to the generosity of Dyson School alumni and friends, Cornell can offer a limited number of merit-based scholarships each year. Award amounts vary by available funding and the number of admitted students but typically range from $5,000-$10,000 per year. U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for consideration and no additional application is required. Given funding limits, most scholarship aid is awarded in the earlier admission rounds.
University housing for single graduate students and those with families is available in residence halls and university-maintained apartments. Private, off-campus housing is also available. Information on university and non-university housing is automatically mailed to all applicants when they are accepted for admission to the Graduate School.