Cindy van Es
Areas of Expertise
Statistics, Quantitative Methods, Undergraduate Education
B41 Warren Hall • Phone: 607.255.8190
Cindy van Es, a Senior Lecturer, joined the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management in 1988. Her areas of expertise are quantitative methods and statistical education. She teaches three analytical courses in the undergraduate business program: Introductory Statistics (AEM 2100), Business Statistics (AEM 4100), and Decision Analysis (AEM 4170).
Undergraduate advising is an important part of her program. She is the faculty advisor for Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity, 85 Broads, Last Call, Alpha Zeta Fraternity and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. She has won the Kendal S. Carpenter Advising Award, the CALS Professor of Merit award, the CALS Outstanding Advisor Award, and the CALS award for Promoting Multicultural Diversity. Her Dyson School Diversity Program was also awarded the Perkins Prize for Interracial Harmony. She has been chosen eight times as "most influential faculty member" by Merrill Presidential Scholars.
In 2007 she became director of the B.O.L.D. Program (Business Opportunities in Leadership and Diversity). B.O.L.D. coordinates leadership and diversity initiatives that enhance the student learning experience and promote a climate that values and appreciates a range of personal attributes. In 2009 van Es was awarded Ernst and Young’s Inclusiveness Excellence Award for Business Faculty.
Ph.D., Iowa State University, 1984
M.S., Iowa State University, 1981
B.A./B.S., Montclair State University, 1979
AEM 2100: Introductory Statistics
AEM 3100: Business Statistics
AEM 4170: Decision Models for Small and Large Businesses
AEM 4940: Global Business Trip: South Africa
AEM 4940.005: Men of Color Skills Seminar
van Es, Cindy. 2001. Managing large classes. Presentation at the annual Thornfield Teaching Workshop, Cornell University.
van Es, Cindy. Decision analysis: A tool for strategic decision making. Presentation during Alumni Weekend, Cornell University.
Giasson, E., R. Bryant, and C. van Es. 2000. Assessing the economic value of soil information by using decision analysis techniques. Soil Science Journal 165 (12):971-78.
van Es, Cindy. 1999. An evaluation of the development and use of CourseInfo as a course web site generator. American Statistical Association Proceedings of the Section on Statistical Education.
Honors and Awards
- Professor of the Year, Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council, Cornell University, 1995 and 1998
- Professor of Merit, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University, 1997
- Outstanding Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching, Mu Sigma Rho, 1984
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi (academic), Kappa Mu Epsilon (mathematics), and Mu Sigma Rho (statistics) honor societies
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) Senate representative
- Chair, Academic Human Diversity and Resources Committee (CALS)
- Faculty advisor of three student organizations: Cornell Business Society, Alpha Kappa Psi, and STAC (Statistics at Cornell)
- Cornell Health Careers Evaluation Committee