Areas of Expertise
Resource Economics, Environmental Economics
431 Warren Hall • Phone: 607.255.7681
Jon M. Conrad is a professor of resource economics. His research focuses on the application of dynamic optimization to the management of natural resources. He is past president of the Resource Modeling Association (RMA) and has served as associate editor at the Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin,
M.S., University of Washington, 1970
B.S., University of Wisconsin, 1968
Conrad, J. M. 1980. “Quasi-Option Value and the Expected Value of Information,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 94(4):813-820.
Conrad, J. M. and C. W. Clark. 1987. Natural Resource Economics: Notes and Problems, Cambridge University Press, New York.
Conrad, J. M. 1989. “Bioeconomics and the Bowhead Whale,” Journal of Political Economy, 97 (4): 974-987.
Conrad, J. M. 1997. “Global Warming: When to Bite the Bullet,” Land Economics, 73(2): 164-173.
Conrad, J. M. 1997. “On the Option Value of Old-Growth Forest,” Ecological Economics, 22: 97-102.
Conrad, J. M. 1999. Resource Economics, Cambridge University Press, New York.
Conrad, J. M. 2000. “Wilderness: Options to Preserve, Extract, or Develop,” Resource and Energy Economics, 22(3):205-219.
Rondeau, D. and J. M. Conrad. 2003. “Managing Urban Deer,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 85(1): 266-281.
Conrad, J. M. and K. Kotani. 2005. “When to Drill? Trigger Prices for the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge,” Resource and Energy Economics, 27:273-286.
Conrad, J. M. 2005. “Open Access and Extinction of the Passenger Pigeon in North America,” Natural Resource Modeling, 18(4):419-438.
Nøstbakken, Linda and Jon M. Conrad. 2007. Uncertainty in Bioeconomic Modelling, Chapter 12 in the Operations Research Handbook in Natural Resources, London, UK
Schmit, T. M., Luo, J., and J. M. Conrad. 2011. “Estimating the Influence of U.S. Ethanol Policy on Plant Investment Decisions: A Real Options Analysis with Two Stochastic Variables” Energy Economics, 33:1194-1205. (856KB pdf)
Wolcott, E. and J. M. Conrad. 2011. “Agroecology of and Island Economy," Land Economics, 87(3):403-411. (98KB pdf)
A.-A. Yakubu., N. Li, J. M. Conrad, and M. L. Zeeman. 2011. “Constant Proportion Harvest Policies: Dynamic Implications in the Pacific Halibut and Atlantic Cod Fisheries,” Mathematical Biosciences, 232:66-77. (1.4MB pdf)
Conrad, J. M. Gómez, M. I. and A. Lamadrid. 2011. “Wine in Your Knapsack?” Journal of Wine Economics, 6(1):83-110. (553KB pdf)
- President, Resource Modeling Association, 2002-04
- Associate editor, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 1988-90
- Board of Governors, Resource Modeling Association, 1988-90
- Board of Directors, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 1998-2000
- Senior editor for economics, Natural Resource Modeling, 1998-2001
Visiting Professorships and Sabbaticals
- Visiting Professor, University of California-Berkeley, 1994
- Distinguished Research Professor, Centre for Fisheries Economics, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration, 1990-94
- Faculty Fellow, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, Summers, 1990 and 1991
- Visiting Associate Professor, University of British Columbia, 1984-85