"Leadership is about impact, influence, and inspiration. More specifically, a leader is one who builds community and inspires it toward a common purpose that benefits the collective, beyond the individual." Amishi Nayar ’22
There are so many leadership opportunities in Dyson, including group projects, clubs, TA positions, student jobs, internships, the university leadership minor and the Dyson leadership fellows program. All of these opportunities serve as a natural environment for continual practice and refinement of behaviors, values, competencies and skills that allow students to become collegial and considerate Dyson citizens.
Students will leave Dyson understanding the systems approach to leadership, having had the opportunity to practice, integrate, refine and apply leadership learning. They will develop a strong basis of leadership through an understanding of self, others, interaction dynamics, teams and communities. They will understand what it means to lead in teams from a design perspective which supports both internal team dynamics, and teams that impact results within the larger system of an organization. In this way, students become the leaders they aspire to be.
The Learning Intentions of Dyson’s Leadership Model include both interpersonal and task focused elements which provides a holistic systems based immersion students can live fully during their college experience. The Learning Goals track to AACSB requirements.
I realize that the Coronavirus’ disruption of our team planning experience tested our adaptability. Using design-thinking we re-framed the goal of the project from completing a team project in the community to serving the community as a team.Camden Wiseman '23
Leadership by Design hosts Leadership Week, an engaging and energetic week of activities focused on leadership topics, each spring semester. All are welcome!
2020 Leadership Week Activities
- Dean Speaker Series Event – Carla Harris (talk, lunch and book signing)
- Dyson Leader in Residence – Reggie Fils-Aime
- eSports Passion Forum
- Nintendo Case Class (Dyson only)
- MAP the Challenge Facilitator and Judge
- Live On-stage Fireside Talk
- TRIAD – Women in Leadership Summit
- Groups of 3 form a network for life-1 alumnae/1 accepted/1 current student
- Collaboration Zone – Activities (and snacks!)
- Thank a Leader Cards (postage paid to anywhere!)
- Thank a Leader Graffiti Wall – write a wall note to a great leader
- Leadership Word Search games
- Leadership Faculty Panel – Faculty across Cornell talk Leadership –Lunch
"It was a welcoming community where I found some of my best Dyson friends. We all found that we had similar interests and we were able to connect over our future goals, as well as form a tight group of friends. I'm excited to welcome new members into our community and continue the Leadership Fellows journey!"Emma Moulton ’21, Dyson Leadership Fellow