- Students with another major in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) may apply to double major in Applied Economics and Management (AEM). Double majors must meet all of the graduation requirements for both majors.
- A student who has transferred to Cornell University from another university or college is not eligible to double major in AEM.
- Requests to double major in AEM are accepted from qualified Cornell students at the end of spring semester of freshman or sophomore year only. Current juniors and seniors are not eligible to apply to double major in AEM.
- Cornell GPA of at least 2.75 (this is a minimum; an over-3.3 GPA is more competitive)
- Applicants should maintain a full-time (12-credit minimum) schedule and be in good standing in their current major
- Successful completion of ECON 1110; ECON 1120 is strongly recommended; AP credit accepted by Cornell fulfills this requirement
- Successful completion of one course in calculus; AP credit accepted by Cornell also fulfills this requirement
- A grade of “B+” or better in one of the following introductory statistics courses; if you have been awarded AP Statistics credit, you do not need to take a Cornell statistics course
Note: While meeting or exceeding the above criteria will increase your competitiveness, it does not ensure approval to double major in AEM.
If you wish to explore additional courses that will prepare you to double major in AEM, consider taking:
- AEM 2300 (cross-listed as ECON 2300): International Trade and Finance
- ECON 1120 (not needed if you have AP credit): Introductory Macroeconomics
- ECON 3130: Statistics and Probability
- ECON 3140: Econometrics
- ILRST 2110: Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences II
- ILRST 3110: Probability Models and Inference for the Social Sciences
- MATH 1120: Calculus II
Please note that courses in management, marketing, accounting, and finance that are offered as part of the University Minor in Business do not fulfill AEM major requirements and therefore are not recommended for students intending to double major in AEM.
In addition to coursework, the decision to add AEM as a double major is based on qualitative factors such as work experience, leadership positions, internships, and the student’s ability to explain why the AEM major is a good fit for them. Please be aware that not all students who request to add AEM as a double major will be invited into the program.
How to Request AEM as a Double Major
- Meet the minimum requirements for admission as a double major.
- Complete the Online Supplement Form
The online supplement form gathers information about your background and interest in the AEM major in the Dyson School.
- Consider Meeting with an Advisor
If you have questions about adding AEM as a double major, you are encouraged to request a conversation with an advisor in Dyson Student Services by emailing Dyson_OSS@cornell.edu. Please be prepared with specific questions and your intended academic plan.
- You will be contacted by email regarding your acceptance into the double major
Note: Requests to add AEM as a double major are considered only at the end of spring semester freshman or sophomore year.
Questions? Please email email@example.com.