Before you apply, please review the application instructions provided by Cornell’s Undergraduate Admissions Office. We accept the Common Application. Keep in mind that you must select “Cornell SC Johnson College of Business—Dyson School” as the program of interest to apply to Dyson.
Learn more below about Dyson’s admissions requirements and what we look for in a successful applicant. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
What We Look For
The Dyson School admissions committee uses a holistic approach when reviewing applications. This means that all parts of your application are considered.
We look for students with high academic achievements in a rigorous curriculum. Our students have leadership and entrepreneurial qualities and take initiative.
We also look for students who share our ethos and vision: at Dyson, our business is a better world.
Because we want to make sure you are prepared to handle the academic workload in Dyson, academic success is an important criterion. Have you taken the most rigorous courses available to you and performed well?
We want to see that you have success in the classroom in math, science, and analytical courses that will prepare you for the academic environment at the Dyson School.
Leadership, Initiative, and Entrepreneurship
Our students are leaders, team players, creative thinkers, and self-starters. We want to see that you are involved in your community, and engaging in challenging opportunities while also creating opportunity for others.
In your supplemental essay, you should write thoughtfully about how you will fit into the Dyson program–academically, socially, and professionally.
What have you experienced that makes you excited about studying business at Dyson? What special qualities will make you stand out and thrive? What it is about our program in applied economics and management that excites you? We want students who share our passion for business and applied economics and are excited to be a part of our community.
Secondary school subjects: 16 units, including 4 of English, 4 of mathematics (including calculus), and 3 of science. Additional units of advanced mathematics and science (including biology, chemistry, and physics) are highly recommended but not required.
- SAT or the ACT
- Score-free through fall 2024: The COVID-19 pandemic emergency has led to many SAT and ACT administration cancellations. Due to this extraordinary circumstance, the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business will not use test results as a part of our admissions review for students seeking admission. Instead, we will proceed with a holistic review of every application – excluding the use of SAT/ACT test results — with an increased emphasis on evidence of academic preparation, creative exploration, and potential in the other application materials. This will be true for both the Early Decision and Regular Decision rounds of review. Please see https://admissions.cornell.edu/standardized-testing-requirements for more information.
- English Language Proficiency Exam for international students and students whose English is not their first language. The examinations that meet this requirement include:
- TOEFL iBT, minimum score of 100
- IELTS, minimum score of 7.5
- DuoLingo, minimum score of 120
- iTEP, minimum score of 5.5
- PTE Academic, minimum score of 70
- C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency, minimum score of 192
If you have graduated from high school and received 12 or more university credits at a different institution since graduation, please see External Transfer Applicants for requirements and information specific to transfer applicants.
If you are a current Cornell student interested in transferring to Dyson, please review Internal Transfer Applicants.
Sam Kaner '16
Santa Monica, CA
Dyson sets you up to work with and meet all of these incredible people. Lifelong friends and connections are made. There is a sense of community within Dyson.