Susan Eckert Lynch Professor in Science and Business
Areas of Expertise
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Life Sciences
- Technology Transfer
- Applied Economics and Management
- International Agriculture and Rural Development
- Doctorate University of Wisconsin, 1978
- Master of Science University of Rhode Island, 1974
- Bachelor of Arts University of Washington, 1968
William Lesser is the Interim David J. Nolan, Director of the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management and the Susan Eckert Lynch Professor in Science and Business. His research focuses on the implications of agricultural biotechnology products on production costs and the size, structure, and geographic distribution of farming. He also concentrates on the costs, benefits, and structural implications of intellectual property, particularly patents, for plants, seed, and animals. His analyses include comparisons between the U.S., Europe, and developing countries.
My research focuses on the roles and transfer of technologies, with particular attention to agricultural biotechnology and intellectual property rights. I attempt to span the large gulf between those who know the law of IPR and the practical implications for farmers and food consumers. Applications are domestic and international.
AEM 3350 International Technology Marketing of Biotechnology.
I teach in the area of marketing of technologies with emphasis on life forms and intellectual property rights. Markets are both domestic and international.
- Lesser, W. H. (2017). The Courts’ Interpretations of ‘Legitimate Business Purposes’, with Applications to Lexmark. John Marshall Review of Intellectual Property. 16:411-456.
- Lesser, W. H. (2016). Are Flat Rate Repair Time Manual Publishers Inviting Collusion? Journal of Business & Securities Law. 16:425-463.
- Lesser, W. H. (2016). Applying Doctrine of Equivalents Tests to Products Of Nature Decisions. Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal. 24:245-299.
- Lesser, W. H. (2016). Whether the Research Anticommons? AgBioForum. 19:1-9.
- Lesser, W. H. (2016). Multiple Intellectual Property Damage Complications as in Apple v Samsung? Try Using Excel. Chicago-Kent Journal of Intellectual Property. 15:201-236.
- Lesser, W. H. (2013). Myriad & Prometheus, Laws & Products of Nature: Are the Courts Considering an Economic Non-statutory Subject Matter Exclusion? IDEA: The Intellectual Property Law Review. 53:173-223.
- Lesser, W. H., & Kolady, D. E. (2011). Disease Resistance of Wheat Varieties: Can Private Varieties Withstand the Pressure. Economics Research International. 2011:1-6.
- Kolady, D. E., & Lesser, W. H. (2011). Genetically Engineered Crops and its Effects on Varietal Diversity: A Case of Bt Eggplant in India. Agriculture and Human Values. 29:115-124.
- Lesser, W. H. (2014). American Business Regulation: Understand, Survive and Thrive. p. 408 Routledge.
- Lesser, W. H. (2016). Banning GMOs in N.Y. School Lunches Carries a Price. Cornell Alliance for Science Cornell Alliance for Science.