My research and extension interests focus on improving agribusiness firm management skills that lead to improved decision making, firm performance, and industry viability, including consideration of firm, spatial, and market factors on firm and industry performance.
I conduct research in agribusiness management and domestic agricultural economic development. The majority of my research has focused on identifying strategies to improve agribusiness performance and consideration of agriculturally based inter-industry linkages to enhance the efficacy of policies targeted to rural development. My research has been directed towards examining issues in farm and agribusiness management, local and regional food systems performance, cooperative and agribusiness strategy, and agricultural economic development.
Outreach and Extension Focus
I conduct extension programming focused on agribusiness management and domestic agricultural economic development. The majority of my extension programming has focused on the education and outreach of strategies to improve agribusiness performance and on improving the understanding and development of effective rural development policy. Through the effective integration with my research output, my extension programming is directed towards education and outreach in farm and agribusiness management, local and regional food systems performance, cooperative and agribusiness strategy, and agricultural economic development.
The focus of my teaching is in the areas of agribusiness management and agricultural cooperatives. The agribusiness management course provides undergraduate students the opportunity to travel abroad to observe and interact one-on-one with agribusiness leaders in different countries. The Program gives students interested in agribusiness management exposure to the managerial practices essential to the success of agriculture, agribusiness, and food companies competing in the global marketplace. The cooperatives course provides an evaluation of the fundamental principles, objectives, structure, finance, marketing, and management associated with the cooperative organization, with a focus on agricultural cooperatives. Topics surrounding management, governance, and new cooperative development are emphasized.
Awards and Honors
- Ruth and William Morgan Assistant Professor in Applied Economics and Managment (2012) College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University
- Jablonski, B., Schmit, T. M., & Kay, D. L. (2015). Assessing the Economic Impacts of Food Hubs to Regional Economies: Including Opportunity Costs. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
- Schmit, T. M., Jablonski, B., & Mansury, Y. S. (2015). Assessing the Economic Impacts of Local Food System Producers by Scale: A Case Study from New York. Economic Development Quarterly.
- Jablonski, B., & Schmit, T. M. (2015). Differential Expenditure Patterns of Local Food System Participants. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 31:1-9.
- Perla, J. M., Rickard, B. J., & Schmit, T. M. (2014). Looking for Locapours: Using Zagat Survey Data to Examine Restaurant Demand for Local Wine. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 43:69-86.
- Preszler, T. L., Schmit, T. M., & Vanden Heuvel, J. (2013). Cluster thinning reduces the economic sustainability of Riesling production. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture. 64:333-341.
- Schmit, T. M., Rickard, B. J., & Taber, J. (2013). Consumer Valuation of Environmentally Friendly Production Practices in Wines, Considering Asymmetric Information and Sensory Effects. Agricultural Economics. 64:483-504.
- Schmit, T. M., & Hall, J. S. (2013). Implications of Agglomeration Economies and Market Access for Firm Growth in Food Manufacturing. Agribusiness. 29:306-324.
- Schmit, T. M., & Hadcock, S. E. (2012). Assessing Barriers to Expansion of Farm-to-Chef Sales: A Case Study from Upstate New York. Journal of Food Research. 1:117-125.
- Dong, D., Schmit, T. M., & Kaiser, H. M. (2012). Modelling Household Purchasing Behaviour to Analyse Beneficial Marketing Strategies. Applied Economics. 44:717-725.
- Schmit, T. M., Luo, J., & Conrad, J. M. (2011). Estimating the Influence of Ethanol Policy on Plant Investment Decisions: A Real Options Analysis with Two Stochastic Variables. Energy Economics. 33:1194-1205.
Presentations and Activities
- Building Success of Food Hubs – Through the Cooperative Experience. 3rd Biennial Food Hub Conference. March 2016. National Good Food Network. Atlanta, GA.
- Building Success of Food Hubs – Through the Cooperative Experience. Farming for the Future Conference. February 2016. Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture. State College, PA.
- Building Success of Food Hubs – Through the Cooperative Experience. 2016 Empire State Producers Expo. January 2016. NYS Vegetable Growers Association. Syracuse, NY.
- Measuring the Rural Wealth Creation Impacts of Local Food Systems. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Annual Meeting. July 2015. AAEA. San Francisco, CA.
- Enhancing the Applied Knowledge of Local Food Systems’ Economic Impact. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Annual Meeting. July 2015. AAEA. San Francisco, CA.
- Building Success of Food Hubs – Through the Cooperative Experience. National Association of County Agriculture Agents AM/PIC. July 2015. National Association of County Agricultural Agents. Sioux Falls, SD.
- Assessment of Pollution Discharge Elimination Permits for Confined Animal Feeding Operations. November 2014. Department of Agricultural Economics and Management, Robert H. Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food, and Environment, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Rehovot, Israel.
- Local Food Sales and Small Farm Profitability: Leveraging Federal Data. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Annual Meeting. July 2014. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. Minneapolis, MN.
- Evaluating the Economic Impacts of Regional Food Hubs: Implications for Extension Programming. Building Campus-County Connections Webinar Series. March 2014. Cornell University.
- Evaluating Beef Production and Marketing Strategies using Auction Price Data for Feeder Cattle in NYS. CCE Agriculture and Food Systems In-Service. November 2013. Cornell Cooperative Extension. Ithaca, NY.