Loren Tauer is a production and finance economist who studies agricultural issues.
Loren Tauer conducts research in the areas of production economics and finance, with foci on technology assessment, efficiency and productivity, food safety, animal disease, and business organization and decisions. Dairy is an important commodity for the state of New York, so much of his analysis has entailed dairy production. His work in finance has centered on family business finance, although he has completed research on banking and the U.S. Farm Credit System.
His research has explored why some farms are more profitable, efficient, or productive. His assessment of new technology determined how and which farmers profitably use available technologies. Animal diseases cause significant losses to society, so recently he has worked on projects studying the economical control of animal diseases.
Loren Tauer has taught graduate courses in production economics and agricultural finance, as well as undergraduate courses in risk management in business, agricultural finance, econometrics, and a global agribusiness management field trip.
- Fried, H. O., & Tauer, L. W. (2015). An entrepreneur performance index. Journal of Productivity Analysis. 44:69-77.
- Tauer, L. W. (2014). Are Two Heads Better than One Head in Managing the Family Business? Applied Economics Letters. 21:960-964.
- Smith, R. L., Tauer, L. W., Sanderson, M. W., & Grohn, Y. T. (2014). Minimum Cost to Control bovine Tuberculosis in Cow-Calf Herds. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 115:18-28.
- Cho, J., Tauer, L. W., Schukken, Y. H., Smith, R. L., Lu, Z., & Grohn, Y. T. (2013). Cost Effective Control Strategies for Johne's Disease in Dairy Herds. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 61:583-608.
- Mahathanaseth, I., & Tauer, L. W. (2012). Market-Power versus Cost-Efficiency in Thailand's Banking Sector in the Post-Crisis Period (1998-2011). Journal of Asian Economics. 23:499-506.
- Byma, J., & Tauer, L. W. (2010). Exploring the role of managerial ability in influencing dairy farm efficiency. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 39:505-516.
- Tauer, L. W. (2009). Estimation of treatment effects of recombinant bovine somatotropin using matching samples. Review of Agricultural Economics. 11:411-423.
- Tauer, L. W., & Weersink, A. J. (1988). Optimal Equity Recovery for a Cooperative Financial Institution. Journal of Agricultural Cooperation. 3:59-70.
- Tauer, L. W. (1983). Target MOTAD. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 65:606-610.
- Tauer, L. W., & Boehlje, M. (1981). A Debt Selection Model for Banks of the Cooperative Farm Credit System. Western Journal of Agricultural Economics. 6:181-194.
Presentations and Activities
- U.S. Farmer Age and Productivity. Center of Operations Research. June 2015. University of Miguel Hernandez. Eiche, Spain.
- Are Two Heads Better than One Head in Managing the Farm Business? Agricultural and Applied Economics Meetings. July 2014. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. Minneapolis, MN.
- Production Response in the Interior of the Production Set. North American Productivity Workshop VIII. June 2014. North American Productivity Workshop . Ottawa, Canada.
- Cost Effective Control Strategies of Controlling Johne’s Disease in US Cow Herds. March 2014. Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences, Massey University. New Zealand.
- An Entrepreneur Success Index. February 2014. Business School, Massey University. New Zealand.
- An Estimate of Socioemotional Wealth in the Family Business. United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Annual Meeting. January 2013. United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship. San Francisco, CA.
- Genetic Selection in the Dairy Industry: The Ultimate Exercise in (Re)Production Economics. North American Productivity Workshop VI. June 2010. Rice University. Houston, TX.
- A Real Options Analysis of Ethanol Plant Investment under Uncertainty. IAMA 19th Annual Food and Agribusiness World Forum and Symposium. June 2009. IAMA. Budapest, Hungary.
- Understanding the Entrepreneur: An Index of Entrepreneurial Success. Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference. June 2009. Babson, MA.
- The Inefficient Corn Plant. North American Productivity Workshop. June 2008. Stern School of Business. New York, New York.