Cindy van Es is a Senior Lecturer in the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management. Her program centers on the delivery of quality statistical education for undergraduate Business Management majors. Undergraduate advising is also an important part of her program. She is faculty advisor for approximately 60 students and six student organizations. Providing quality mentoring for all affiliated students is a prime objective. She now serves as Director of Business Inclusion and Diversity, which has the strategic goal of providing all undergraduate business students in Dyson with competencies in the areas of identity awareness, cross-cultural communication, global-business practices and inclusion. She is chair of the AEM Diversity committee, and has taken a leadership role in the development of a program within AEM to recruit and mentor minority and female students in Business Management. She also Chairs a special Diversity and Leadership Task Force of the AEM Business Advisory Council.
Teaching statistical and quantitative methods courses in the undergraduate Business Management program of the Department of Applied Economics and Management.
My teaching program provides quantitative tools to undergraduate Business majors. The statistical methods presented in my Introductory Statistics, and Business Statistics classes provide a solid foundation for our students to be both producers and consumers of these techniques. My Decision Analysis class gives students a useful technique for investigating complex strategic decisions. All of these courses endeavor to make our students more astute recipients of information, and to expand their “toolbox” of problem solving techniques.
Awards and Honors
- The Best 300 Professors (2012) Princeton Review
- Perkins Prize for Promoting Interracial Harmony (2011) Cornell University
Presentations and Activities
- New F.A.C.E.S.: Fostering Agricultural Extension and Communication Students – A USDA‐HEMSP Supported Project at Cornell University. June 2014. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA),. Bozeman, MT .
- Building an Inclusive Statistics Classroom. August 2012. American Statistical Association. San Diego, California.
- Teaching for Inclusive Excellence. April 2011. Center for Teaching Excellence, CU. ILR Conference Cetner.