Arnab's current research interest is in (i) labor market institutions and active labor market policies in developing economies (Labor Contracts, Minimum Wage Laws, Employment Guarantee Schemes, Informal Sector and Human Trafficking); (ii) consumers' willingness-to-pay for social and eco-labeled products (e.g., Fair Trade Coffee); and (iii) international aid disbursement after natural disasters. Arnab is a Senior Fellow at the Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn and a Research Fellow at the Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in Bonn, Germany. He was awarded a Research Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Germany in 2007.
Awards and Honors
- TransCoop Grant (2011) Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Research Award (2007) Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Basu, A., Chau, N., & Kanbur, R. (2015). Contractual Dualism, Market Power and Informality. Economic Journal.
- Akee, R., Basu, A., Bedi, A., & Chau, H. Y. (2014). Transnational Trafficking, Law Enforcement and Victim Protection: A Middleman's Perspective. Journal of Law and Economics. 57:349-386.
- Basu, A. (2013). Impact of Rural Employment Guarantee Schemes on Seasonal Labor Markets: Optimum Compensation and Workers' Welfare. Journal of Economic Inequality. 11:1-34.
- Basu, A., Chau, N., & Siddiqui, Z. (2012). Tax Evasion, Minimum Wage Non-Compliance and Informality. Research in Labor Economics. 34:1-53.
- Basu, A., Chau, N., & Kanbur, R. (2010). Turning a Blind Eye: Costly Enforcement, Credible Commitment and Minimum Wage Laws. Economic Journal. 120:244-269.
- Basu, A., Chau, N., & Kanbur, R. (2009). A Theory of Employment Guarantees: Contestability, Credibility and Distributional Concerns. Journal of Public Economics. 93:482-497.
- Basu, A., & Hicks, R. (2008). Label Transparency and the Willingness to Pay for Fair Trade Coffee: A Cross-National Perspective. International Journal of Consumer Studies. 32:270-278.
- Basu, A., & Qaim, M. (2007). On the Adoption of Genetically Modified Seeds in Developing Countries and the Optimal Types of Government Intervention. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 89:784-804.
- Basu, A., Chau, N., & Grote, U. (2006). Guaranteed Manufactured without Child Labor: The Economics of Consumer Boycotts, Social Labeling and Trade Sanctions. Review of Development Economics. 10:466-491.
- Basu, A., & Chau, N. (2004). Exploitation of Child Labor and the Dynamics of Debt Bondage. Journal of Economic Growth. 9:209-238.