My interests and expertise are in understanding the economics of agricultural and food product markets, with a particular focus on dairy foods. This includes the economics of market coordination and pricing, the operation of food processing and marketing firms, and the economic regulation of marketing and pricing activities.
My applied research program is closely integrated with my extension program. Both are actively coordinated through the National Dairy Markets and Policy Program, which I co-chair. The program encompasses a broad array of subjects, emphasizing the economics of marketing activities, market coordination, market pricing, and federal and state pricing programs. I also am involved in research projects with colleagues at USDA, in particular AMS Dairy Programs.
Outreach and Extension Focus
My program works at a national level, focusing on projects and topics that typically are of interest in the Northeast as well as of broad national interest. The purpose of the educational program is to inform and otherwise assist decision-makers in production agriculture and food processing on issues of operations, strategy and policy. National and State policy-makers and legislators, policy advocates and policy analysts are also key audiences.
My teaching effort is primarily as a service to agricultural students outside of the Dyson School. Presently I teach one course and guest lecture in 1-2 other courses each year. Dairy Markets and Policy Seminar focuses on the US dairy sector with a balance of topics spanning markets for farm milk and dairy products and federal and state policies that regulate milk prices or the marketing of milk.
I teach one week in Farm Business Management on topics of agricultural markets and policy. And, I often teach a lecture on agricultural policy in AEM 4310.
In addition to these lecture-based courses, I also offer undergraduate and/or graduate students an opportunity to do more intensive study in dairy markets and policy via AEM 4970 or AEM 7000.
Awards and Honors
- Award of Merit for Outstanding Extension Program (2015) Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
- Donald C. Burgett Distinguished Advisor Award (2010) Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Distinguished Extension Program (1999) Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Award of Merit for Outstanding Extension Program (1987) American Agricultural Economics Association
- Award of Merit for Outstanding Extension Program (1984) American Agricultural Economics Association