Skip to main content

Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition and Expenses

2014-15 tuition for M.S. and Ph.D. students in the graduate field of Applied Economics and Management is $20,800. For M.P.S. students, the tuition is $47,050.

Estimated cost of attendance (tuition and fees, cost of books, housing and meals, personal expenses, and health insurance) for a single graduate student each academic year is estimated to be $53,000. The additional expense for a spouse is estimated at $10,035. For additional information, click here.

Current graduate students may be approved to register in-absentia to pursue their studies or conduct research off campus. In-absentia tuition is $200 per semester.

All full-time registered students must have health insurance. Students should also allow for income taxes, as applicable.

Housing top

University housing for single graduate students is available in residence halls and apartments. For students accompanied by another adult and/or children, unfurnished or furnished apartments maintained by the university are available.

Private, off-campus housing is also available. The quality and cost vary widely. The university maintains a list of vacancies, but it is not practical to negotiate for off-campus accommodations until you arrive in Ithaca. If convenient, you may wish to visit Ithaca during the semester prior to your enrollment to arrange for off-campus housing. Otherwise, you should plan to arrive in Ithaca at least 5 days prior to registration to arrange housing.

Information on university and non-university housing is automatically mailed to all applicants when they are accepted for admission to the Graduate School.

Financial Aid top

Two types of financial support for graduate students are available through Cornell:

• Merit-based: assistantships and fellowships
• Need-based: loans

Prospective students, particularly international students, are also encouraged to apply for support from other national, international, industrial, foundation, and government sources.

Assistantships top

The most common form of financial aid for graduate students in the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management is a teaching assistantship (TA) or graduate research assistantship (GRA).

Graduate teaching assistantship assignments vary from term to term, but most students are assigned as a teaching assistant for one of the undergraduate or graduate classes in the Dyson School. Students who are offered graduate research assistantships are assigned to a faculty member on a current research project. In many cases, the research completed may become the basis for a thesis. Graduate teaching assistantships and graduate research assistantships should not exceed 20 hours of time allocation per week, with 15 hours being the average.

Assistantships provide a full-tuition fellowship. They also include individual coverage in the student health insurance plan and a 9-month stipend of $23,470 for a GRA and $24,104 for a TA to cover the living expenses of one person; the stipend is not intended to cover the expenses of a family. Annual increases can be expected.

Assistantships are awarded based on academic merit and the ability of the student to contribute to the teaching and research program in the Dyson School. To apply, check the "yes" box under the section titled, "Financial Support Application" on the graduate school application.

Fellowships top

University Fellowships. Most fellowships are granted by the Graduate School as the result of a university-wide competition. Fellowship nominations are made by the field of AEM on behalf of applicants with especially outstanding academic records.

Fellowships typically include a full-tuition fellowship, a 9-month stipend of $24,104, and in some awards, summer support.

Applicants are notified of their awards by March 15. You must notify the Graduate School by April 15 if you plan to accept the award.

Other Fellowships. Several foundations and government agencies also offer fellowships for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. See the Graduate School's online fellowship database for more information.

Loans top

U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for several need-based loan programs. Please visit the Graduate School's web page on loans for more information.

Applicants who do not receive an assistantship or fellowship are strongly encouraged to seek awards and loans from their home country, private foundations, and international agencies.